Lanzarore Powerboat Training and Charter


The International Certificate of Competence is evidence of your competence to skipper a boat and is not, as is often wrongly considered, an 'international boat driving licence'. The ICC is often required by other countries if you wish to use your own craft in their waters and it is important that you are aware of your obligations of compliance prior to leaving UK territorial waters. Also, hire companies may ask for proof of your competence if you wish to charter a boat abroad.

The requirement for a certificate of competence varies from country to country and, as the skipper of a vessel, you must ensure that you are aware of any requirement for qualifications before venturing into another country's jurisdiction. Although only guaranteed to be accepted in countries that have adopted the relevant UN Resolution, the ICC is a useful document to carry and will generally be accepted where proof of competence is required.

For powerboats up to 10 metres in length I offer two different options to obtain your ICC:

1) Undertake the RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course with me and, upon successful completion, you can apply for the ICC to the RYA.


2) Undertake an ICC test which can be carried out with me in half a day. Don't forget – this is a test and you will either pass or fail!!!! You will need to display a level of competence throughout a variety of areas at a level comparable with the standard reached on a Powerboat Level 2 Course. If you are feeling a 'bit rusty' in some areas then I can offer you the option of spending the whole day with me to 'brush up' your skills and theoretical knowledge prior to taking the test.

For powerboats between 10 and 24 metres in length I only offer tuition in your own boat to attain the ICC. Again, this is a test so be prepared!! The level of ability required is to the standard of RYA Dayskipper and, again, you have the option of brushing up your skills with me.


Lanzarote Powerboat Services is recognised by the RYA as a training centre to carry out the test for the International Certificate of Competence (coastal and power categories). The test comprises practical and theory elements, and can either be carried out in my own craft (7.5 metre RIB) or your own craft (subject to satisfying certain criteria).

Cost: 225 Euros (carried out in the training centre RIB)

175 Euros (carried out in a boat owned by the candidate)

The ICC application fee is not included in the above charges.

An extra 100 Euros will be charged for candidates wishing to take up the extra half day (max 4 hours) option of refreshing their skills prior to the test.

Since December 2014, the MCA has authorised the RYA to issue the ICC to a wider range of applicants.

The most important point here is that the RYA is now authorised to issue a UK ICC to the nationals of any country EXCEPT individuals who are a national of another UNECE member state which has accepted Resolution 40 and who are also resident in another UNECE member state which has accepted Resolution 40.

In short, if you are Spanish then you can obtain an ICC!!!!!!!

Please visit to check out the list of UNECE member states that have accepted Resolution 40. If you are still in doubt, then please contact me for clarification!!!!!!!